Finale 26 articulation chaos

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27
Operating System: Mac

Post by BuonTempi » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:42 am

Well, finally been bitten by articulation madness in v26. Working on an old document that I started in 25, and my articulations are all over the place. Of course, I only discovered this on the printout.

It's a custom font character (yes, FAN), and all the upstem artics are off to the left. No amount of adjusting the Handle Position seems to affect them.

Having saved the file in 26, now when I go back to F25, my custom dots are ALL slightly wrong, (downstem too, but both not so much), and the standard staccato dots are also all over the place!!

I've spent ages trying to get my artics to behave in 26, and I'm now back in 25, resetting all the artics, and then going through the document manually positioning and checking. (And of course, Finale doesn't redraw properly when you manually nudge an artic.)

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3

Post by David Ward » Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:36 pm

I'm not sure how to find the relevant post on this forum, but Peter Thomsen recently said in response to a comment of mine that if all the articulation vertical positions were set to zero when opening an F 25 file in F 26 this did not happen (I think that was the gist - Peter?).
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

N Grossingink
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by N Grossingink » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Here's what I would try:

Using Finale 26, make an articulation library using all of your regular and custom articulations. Make sure positioning of all of them is accurate. Save as a .lib file.

When opening a Finale 25 or older file in Finale 26, import your library. Using the Change Articulation Utility, delete the old articulations one by one and replace with the newer versions, which should appear in the lower portion of the selection window.

I haven't tried this particular operation, but deleting and replacing articulations in Finale is relatively painless with the Change utility.
N. Grossingink
Educational Band, Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble a specialty
Sample: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pFF5OeJDeLFGHMRyXrubFqZWXBubErw4/view?usp=share_link

Mac Mini 2014 2.6 Ghz, 8Gb RAM
OSX 10.15.7
Finale 2012c, 25.5, 26.3, 27.3

BuonTempi
Finale Version: Finale 27

Post by BuonTempi » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:35 am

Thanks, all. I'll bear this in mind for next time. As said, I spent an hour or so going through the document and sorting it out. Luckily, most of my music doesn't use artics!

oldmkvi
Finale Version: 25

Post by oldmkvi » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:03 pm

I thought F 26 was supposed to fix Articulation positions to avoid collisions, but I've read a few complaints about it now.
Is it just opening F 25 Files in F 26 that causes problems?
I haven't upgraded yet, I would probably only use F 26 for new Pieces, not open older files.
I do have to spend a lot of time editing F 25/Mac Files for Smart Shapes, Expressions and Articulations position.