Hiding barlines issues

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Slavicek
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by Slavicek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:32 pm

Has anyone ever had problems with simple hiding barlines using a Staff Tool?

I defined a staff style and unchecked barlines in the options. It works great in majority of the score, but at some points it simply won't change a thing, even though the style has been applied to the bar or bars. I would otherwise simply change the barline to the invisible one using a Measure Tool, but in this case I need only one part of the score to be hidden, and the other fully visible (and Measure Tool applies to the whole score).

Could there be any alternative options of hiding a particular barline or this is simply the bug and one can't do much about it?

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:39 pm

For the visual help out, see the attachment. The marked purple line shows the "no barlines" style I have applied to the majority of score, and it seems to work for everything except the first bar of violas.
barlines.jpg
barlines.jpg (53.35 KiB) Viewed 2696 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:20 pm

Without seeing an actual Finale sample document we can only guess.

My first guess would be that the culprit could be a staff group that includes all the string staves.
It is difficult to see in your attached graphic, but it indeed looks like there is a staff group of all the string staves.

If my guess is correct, then the problem is that there both above and below the Viola staves are string staves that display barlines. In that particular case the staff group will override the staff style that hides barlines. This is by design, and what users have requested.

The layout you need, can be done, via a workaround.

See the attached Finale document.
HideBarlines.musx
(14.59 KiB) Downloaded 121 times
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm

Peter, thank you for the reply. That actually might be the case. What would then the workaround be, if you happen to know?
I enclose the .mus file this time, so you can check if it is what you meant. I have marked with circles the barlines I was unable to hide.
sample.musx
(126.76 KiB) Downloaded 140 times

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Slavicek wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
… What would then the workaround be, if you happen to know? …
Did you examine the Finale document I attached?

In the document there are some hidden barlines in the Viola staves.
But you can not hide Viola barlines with a staff style, not in this document (try it!).
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Slavicek

Post by Slavicek » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:53 pm

Peter Thomsen wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Slavicek wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:45 pm
… What would then the workaround be, if you happen to know? …
Did you examine the Finale document I attached?

In the document there are some hidden barlines in the Viola staves.
But you can not hide Viola barlines with a staff style, not in this document (try it!).
Peter - from what I've managed to figure out in your document, the barlines are not hidden with Staff Tool, but with a different group that uses alternative group barline (the invisible one). Obviously Staff Style won't work in this case, you're absolutely right about that. What I still miss is how you managed to apply it to two bars only instead of entire document. In the group options, I checked the measures that you've applied the invisible barline to, and it shows the entire document (measures from 1 to 8 instead of 3 to 4, for example). I would have expected to be a single new group just for this measure or two.

Actually the whole group process is quite logical, but I can't figure out how come violas then have the full barline throughout the entire score in the first measure (and the remaining ones after 3rd) of the document.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:13 pm

Look at the measure attributes. There's a setting "override group barlines" that he's checked for the other measures.

This had me puzzled, too. Something this arcane I think is worth mentioning explicitly, I think.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:17 am

With the posted sample file, conflicting Staff Style definitions are the cause. Since you don't need stemless notes in the measure needing the hidden barline, get rid of that style for that measure and then the barlines will be hidden.

Zuill

P.S.: Well, that was on the first page. I'll have to now look at the next circled part.

P.P.S.: For most spots, selecting Break Barlines Between Staves in the Barlines Style may give a good result. In one spot, following my original suggestion should fix that.
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."