Wouldn't it be great if Finale did what I wanted it to do?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:05 pm

I've never gotten an unwanted double slur of either kind, so we must be entering them differently.

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:37 pm

Actually I have gotten a few double slurs when copying. I don't remember how, nor do I care because they weren't visible. They were in the exact same place. I deleted them when necessary only.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 pm

That may be the difference. I seldom copy, and almost never overwrite when I do.

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm

Anders Hedelin wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:35 pm
If the program did exactly what I wanted all the time, how could I persuade my clients to pay me for more than opening a file, punching the notes and pressing the button?
motet wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:35 pm
I seldom copy, and almost never overwrite when I do.
See, that makes a world of difference right there: how and for what purpose does one use the application. A copyist uses the application in a completely different way than a composer and that has its implications on the produced document. A Finale document is prone to behave erratically or even unworkable when edited numerous times. As I have said on occasion before: Finale is a tool for copyists, not so much for composers. [N.B. a composer who uses pencil and paper and then brings the manuscript in Finale is at that point a copyist, not a composer.]

Please bear that in mind when judging people when they assess the usability of Finale differently. Most people don't like to complain just for the sake of complaining; they usually have a good reason for doing so.
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6

Anders Hedelin
Finale Version: Finale 26, 27.4.1

Post by Anders Hedelin » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:21 pm

Jay Emmes wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:40 pm
Finale is a tool for copyists, not so much for composers. [N.B. a composer who uses pencil and paper and then brings the manuscript in Finale is at that point a copyist, not a composer.]

Please bear that in mind when judging people when they assess the usability of Finale differently. Most people don't like to complain just for the sake of complaining; they usually have a good reason for doing so.
I know of your notions about what Finale is and is not. As not only a 'copyist', as you put it, but a composer as well I find your notions too rigid.

I don't think most of us 'judge people when they assess the usabilty of Finale differently'. It's more a question of the manner of expressing this 'assessment' (nice word for it BTW). As with Michel R E, 'cynical' is not the word that comes to mind.
Finale 26.3, 27.4.1
Windows 10

Jay Emmes
Finale Version: 25.4.1.164
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jay Emmes » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:35 pm

Unfortunately, English is not for all of us the native language. The extend of the command of the language largely determines how subtle one can express oneself in that language, as well as how many subtleties in words one picks up from others. Please don't just assume that the words you read are always intended as you read them or that the words you write always come across as you intended.

I thought cynicism was in place when time and again I notice that in the last three decades I have spent thousands of dollars on software that still shows defects and bugs that, though reported many times over by me and others, are for years being obviously neglected by the developers. If my cynicism doesn't come across as such, my command of the English language is largely insufficient. My apologies.

Nonetheless, I read undeniable sarcasm in this thread, as I have read many times before on this board, as well as on the old MakeMusic board. If not from judgment, from where does this sarcasm come? What purpose does it serve? Whose question is answered by that?

Agreed, there is no real need for my cynicism, but neither is there any need for blunt sarcasm. MakeMusic deserves my cynicism; do I deserve that sarcasm?
Running Finale 25.4.1.163 in OS X 10.11.6