unwanted trill

Discuss Finale PrintMusic here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

harp-lady

Post by harp-lady » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:06 am

I use Finale 2014 for windows. I have had a trill show up that I cannot get rid of. I have checked every layer and I have tried to 'unhide' anything on that note to no avail. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Harp-Lady

harp-lady

Post by harp-lady » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:57 am

I finally figured out that I should delete the measure and start over. I had to do it four times before the trill disappeared! Hopefully it won't show up again.
Harp-Lady

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27
Operating System: Windows

Post by motet » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:22 am

The fourth time's the charm.

montedoro44
Finale Version: 27

Post by montedoro44 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm

I am late to this party. I stumbled on a website (cipoo.net) that has lots of midi downloads, so Finale picks them up instantly and perfectly. But some of them have hidden articulations, and maybe hidden dynamics. Is there a way to unhide these objects so as to get control, short of the above or other surgical method? Right now, I am working on "O occhi, manza mia", by Orlando di Lasso:

http://www.cipoo.net/music_t.html

if you want to experiment. m29-30 seem to have a rall and fermata -- maybe just a rall -- and then m31 is back as a-tempo.

An easier variant surgical method that worked just now, 1st try, is to ctrl-C copy the entire piece, then delete all but m1 -- that is, delete the measures, not just their contents -- then paste it all back from m1, so Finale grows new measures. That might fail, if a piece has m1 already infected. It seems like some midi files have -- I hate to say it -- a virus.

edit:
It's a midi problem, and fixable with Midi Tool > Apply Human Playback > Clear items (Tempo changes)
Another piece presents a new problem -- Playback tempo changes are ignored. I haven't figured this one out yet. Question, though: if the imported midi data includes various data such as fermata and base tempo, why doesn't Finale register it? Or maybe it does and this is an anomaly?
Last edited by montedoro44 on Sun May 17, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 17, 2020 8:38 pm

montedoro44 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm
… I stumbled on a website (cipoo.net) that has lots of midi downloads, so Finale picks them up instantly and perfectly. But some of them have hidden articulations, and maybe hidden dynamics. Is there a way to unhide these objects so as to get control, short of the above or other surgical method? …
montedoro44,

You have posted in the PrintMusic forum.
Are you using PrintMusic?
(- or are you using the “full Finale”?)
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm

Sorry -- I just edited/added to my last message, not noticing you replied. I have full 26.2 Finale. uh oh -- am I in the wrong forum?

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 17, 2020 8:49 pm

montedoro44 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 8:41 pm
… I have full 26.2 Finale. uh oh -- am I in the wrong forum? …
Strictly speaking you have posted in the wrong forum.
But:
As long as you tell, what program you are using, it does not matter.

Peter Thomsen

Post by Peter Thomsen » Sun May 17, 2020 8:56 pm

montedoro44 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:04 pm
… Another piece presents a new problem -- Playback tempo changes are ignored. I haven't figured this one out yet. Question, though: if the imported midi data includes various data such as fermata and base tempo, why doesn't Finale register it? Or maybe it does and this is an anomaly?
Three things control the tempo in Finale:

MIDI Tool (= the recorded tempo changes)
Expression Tool (= the expression tempo changes)
Playback Controls

And they work in a hierarchical fashion.

The tempo in the Playback Controls is overridden by an Expression that sets a tempo.
This is overridden by the MIDI Tool, which is at the top of the “Tempo Hierarchy”.

You tell that “Playback tempo changes are ignored”.
I suppose that you are talking about tempo in the Playback Controls (= at the bottom of the “Tempo Hierarchy”), right?

Try this:
Selection Tool.
Select All.
Edit menu > Clear Selected Items…
In the window Clear Selected Items, de-select everything except MIDI Data Tempo Changes.

If clearing MIDI Data Tempo Changes does not solve the problem, then the culprit must be one or more expressions (with playback effect Tempo).
Try clearing those.

montedoro44

Post by montedoro44 » Sun May 17, 2020 9:15 pm

Thousand thanks, Peter! That works. In the meantime, I re-downloaded the tempo-unchangeable piece, but this time took serious notice of the Import Midi File Options -- zapping Tempo changes there cures not only the changes, but the initial tempo setting. And now, per your message, I see the same in Edit Selected, so I can get control post-download. I guess you could say that not knowing what the culprit was, I didn't know where to find the fix -- I looked for hidden articulations. A larger lesson here. Good learning day, thanks again!