youtube

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

ebiggs1
Finale Version: Finale 27.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu May 21, 2020 2:43 pm

Is there or does anyone know of software or how they put scoers on Youtube as it plays the tune?
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11
President, The Shawnee Concert Band, Composer/Arranger, retired Music Teacher.

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26

Post by Michel R E » Thu May 21, 2020 3:50 pm

I had looked up one software package that seemed popular at the time (this was a few years ago, and unfortunately I can't remember its name), but it was a tiny bit expensive for the use I would have made of it.

I've made my YouTube videos simply using extracted images of each staff from a score (export images, using graphics tool in Finale), then creating the video, image by image, in a free program called Shotcut (yes, there is no "R").

It works fine for me, though it's a tiny bit tedious.
Mind you, I have no scrolling playback line either.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Thu May 21, 2020 4:08 pm

There are apps that will record whatever is on the screen as video with sound, but I have no personal experience with such. You could play your Finale file in scroll mode.

I think Sibelius has a playback mode which keeps the cursor in the middle of the screen and moves the music...

Epeedad
Finale Version: 25, 2012

Post by Epeedad » Thu May 21, 2020 5:17 pm

There are a quite a number of screen capture programs available. Here is a list of some:
https://www.ispringsolutions.com/blog/1 ... e-and-paid

I've been using Corel Visual Studio for screen capture and video editing for many years and have gotten pretty good results but it is a little antiquated at this point. (till works fine though!) I am currently using Dorico but did this with Finale before. I found that on my system, it was necessary to export the audio and then do a screen capture separately since Finale's audio component interfered with the capture function of the video software. The resulting audio file may need to be normalized since the level may be too low. Audacity does this fairly well. I found that for my purposes, Finale's audio just wasn't good enough for me. It may be fine for you. I would export to MIDI and use a DAW (Studio One) to get the result I wanted. This is a quite laborious process. I have found that Dorico gives much finer control and the audio generated is significantly better since the audio editing capabilities built in are sufficient for this purpose. YMMV :D

After you export the audio and have made a screen capture, you will need to use video editing software to combine and synchronize them.

Here is an experiment that I did a few weeks ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5PNAJHICNE&

NB for best viewing use 1080P if your internet connection is good enough.

I haven't done any audio work, mixing, EQ, compression, normalization, etc. yet. This is straight out of the box so to speak. This experiment was just for testing the video formatting. I'll be working on the audio sometime soon. A major home improvement project got in the way but is now completed. :D

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Thu May 21, 2020 5:42 pm

while extracting individual images then rebuilding them into a score, the way I do it, is more tedious, it can be more practical when handling a larger orchestral score that does not necessarily fit on the screen.
for example, I was able to do a video-score of the 1st movement of my 1st symphony where I could simply extract images from from the correct spots in the score where the more important melodic/thematic material was.
it's not perfect since it was actually the 1st score I did, so I was trying out all of Shotcut's capabilities (and I am VERY new to using this type of software).
https://youtu.be/znKnYTnNBrI

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu May 21, 2020 6:57 pm

I am VERY new to using this type of software
Thanx guys. I have never done anything like this ever so it is all new to me. Quite confusing. Since I have lost my main most opportunities, my community band (SCB), high school band and KU, I thought it might be a good way to get some music out. I have one new chart done since lock-up and another nearly done. I also did two beginning band pieces, too.

This may be beyond my feeble brain! :D
Finale 27.4.1 - Perfect Layout Silver - Note Performer 4.4 - SmartScore Pro 64 - Windows 11

Epeedad

Post by Epeedad » Thu May 21, 2020 7:58 pm

Ebiggs,

I occasionally make private rehearsal videos for use as learning aids for amateur groups and usually charge a small fee for it. During this lockdown crisis, I'll be happy to put a few together for you, gratis. We all need to help each other these days. :D I can be reached at : chris(dot)aher(at)gmail(dot)com. I can work in Finale just as easily as Dorico.

Michel,

What a great piece! You've taken a different approach, using page screenshots and highlighting different parts when desired. It is very interesting. I'll put some thought to this. I think that I may be able to come up with a much easier and less tedious workflow for you to achieve the same results. I'm not so new at this type of software. :D

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm

"I'll be happy to put a few together for you...
That's a fantastic offer but I would really like to learn how myself. Maybe i can't because it's hard to teach an old dog new things. Let me browse around a bit first.

Epeedad

Post by Epeedad » Fri May 22, 2020 2:48 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:34 pm
"I'll be happy to put a few together for you...
That's a fantastic offer but I would really like to learn how myself. Maybe i can't because it's hard to teach an old dog new things. Let me browse around a bit first.
No reason you shouldn't be able to learn this. I'm in my 70s and I recently learned Dorico, which is totally different in its fundamental approach than Finale! :D There are plenty of tutorials for the various video capture and editing programs. If you run into any snags, let me know and I'll try to help you through them. This goes for anyone else here needing help also.

Chris

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Fri May 22, 2020 2:57 pm

Chris,
Thanx again, I have been with Finale since there was a Finale so I don't ever see me switching from it. But the video stuff seems challenging.

Yes, I have concerns with Finale. I got to know the before sale to Boulder staff very well. I knew their kids. IMHO, Finale now seems bent on losing with the new owners. They are very unresponsive.

Epeedad

Post by Epeedad » Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm

If you don't require really fine control over the audio for playback and Finale's quirks don't interfere with your work, there isn't a real reason to change, particularly if you are a Windows user. Even if MM goes out of business, the software should continue to work. It may be a little different for Mac users since OS upgrades often seem to foul up older software. On the other hand, if you find yourself in frequent need of support from MM and they can't or won't respond to your needs, you may want consider changing. The support by the Dorico team is outstanding.

Is Dorico better than Finale? For me, the answer is an unqualified yes. This doesn't mean that it is better for you or anyone else. There is a non-trivial cost to changing. The program is relatively expensive but the real cost is in the rather steep learning curve. The ELicense scheme is also sometimes difficult to navigate, although the team bends over backwards to help. The focus on numerous sets of QWERTY key combinations was particularly challenging for me. Acquiring a StreamDeck XL and Notation Express for Dorico was what made the difference for me.

Good luck with the video process! Once you get the hang of it, its lots of fun to work with.

Chris

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Fri May 22, 2020 6:49 pm

I post scores on YouTube a little differently. It's probably unnecessarily more complicated, though.

I play back and record the piece first as an AIFF (Mac) file. Then I create individual score page PDFs, and load them into iMovie. When I worked in Windows, I did the same thing in MovieMaker, but at the time I used PNG files instead of PDFs. Then in iMovie, I sync the music to the pages. In a nutshell, that's it.

Check my YouTube Channel for examples.

Art
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

Michel R E

Post by Michel R E » Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm

Epeedad wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 4:05 pm
Acquiring a StreamDeck XL and Notation Express for Dorico was what made the difference for me.

Chris
I looked up this StreamDeck XL and Notation Express... it adds quite a bit to the cost of Dorico. (in $CDN it's nearly an extra $400)

I've grown used to being able to enter notes rapidly from my MIDI keyboard in Speedy Entry.
And getting excellent playback directly from Finale with NotePerformer 3.1 (with only the occasional cludge when faced with notational particularities that MIDI can have trouble interpreting, for decent playback).

How is Dorico's playback? is it relatively easy to use?

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri May 22, 2020 8:02 pm

A little feedback att. Gogreen :

I see you use a Mac and Mojave. Have you tried the screen recording function (full screen, window or selection) which is now available (since Mojave) with Shift+Cmd+5 (on the main keyboard) ?

An audio source can be selected, but I have found it to be rather unreliable with Playback via Audio Units : no sound, although routed in Finale to my audio interface (Motu Audio Express) and that interface correctly selected for the capture.
I have more constant success via midi, using the sounds of an external midi module connected into the same audio interface.
This needs further investigation.

In the movie, pages are turning (View -> Looseleaf Style -> current page only ), and the scrolling bar can be visible.

In case of failure with the audio, it can be easily recorded separately and added in iMovie.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3

Post by gogreen » Fri May 22, 2020 9:37 pm

I see you use a Mac and Mojave. Have you tried the screen recording function (full screen, window or selection) which is now available (since Mojave) with Shift+Cmd+5 (on the main keyboard) ?
No. Haven't tried it. Recording the whole screen wouldn't work for this kind of application. I think focusing only on the score page is best.
In the movie, pages are turning (View -> Looseleaf Style -> current page only ), and the scrolling bar can be visible.
When I view a score video on YouTube, I don't want to see the scroll bar. Just my preference.

Art
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.

Post by michelp » Fri May 22, 2020 10:19 pm

You don't need to record the full screen, you can also select a region of the screen, or a window.

The scrolling bar can be unchecked in the Playback Controls window, but in this case, unless there is a trick I don't know, only the first page will be displayed.

If each page has to be completely static, your method seems appropriate.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

Epeedad

Post by Epeedad » Sat May 23, 2020 2:15 pm

Michel R E wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:42 pm
I looked up this StreamDeck XL and Notation Express... it adds quite a bit to the cost of Dorico. (in $CDN it's nearly an extra $400)

I've grown used to being able to enter notes rapidly from my MIDI keyboard in Speedy Entry.
And getting excellent playback directly from Finale with NotePerformer 3.1 (with only the occasional cludge when faced with notational particularities that MIDI can have trouble interpreting, for decent playback).

How is Dorico's playback? is it relatively easy to use?
Dorico's playback is the main reason that I switched from Finale. It is really excellent right out of the box but the extensive DAW style MIDI editing capability allows you the refine each note as needed. NotePerformer also works well and is maybe a little better integrated in Dorico than it is in Finale.

All that said, if Finale's playback with NotePerformer works well for you and detailed MIDI editing isn't important, this isn't a reason to change. As you said, the Dorico/Streamdeck/NotationExpress combination is quite expensive. The real investment is in your time. It took me about a month of effort, working about 4 hours per day, to get really fluent. Since I'm retired, it isn't so much of an issue for me, but is a very significant investment for a working professional.

Let me know if you are interested in more detailed information on why I switched and the good, bad and ugly, so to speak, for me either way. Maybe this should be in a separate thread.

Chris

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 pm

I found out I had software already on my computer that will do this. It is the AVS Suite https://www.avs4you.com/index.aspx

I got it for the audio editor and converter but it also has the same for video. It works and this is my first effort. I got it posted to FB https://www.facebook.com/eebiggs1/video ... 484577126/ in time for Memorial Day. :wink:

Finale tells you what the time is as each page turns so all you have to do it put that time start and end for that page in the timeline of the software. I imagine there are better ways, more professional ways, more expensive ways but I got it done. First one!

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm

BTW, I must mention to those that are interested in Perfect Layout, this is how PL made the score with all the default settings. All I did was run it on the finished score.

One thing I don't like is PL removes any ques from the score. In this case the director who is going to play this chart asked for cues to be included in the score. Now perhaps there is a setting in PL that will not remove them but I don't know.

BTW2, one other use I found for PL is in making templates.

Epeedad

Post by Epeedad » Tue May 26, 2020 1:26 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:26 pm

I got it for the audio editor and converter but it also has the same for video. It works and this is my first effort. I got it posted to FB https://www.facebook.com/eebiggs1/video ... 484577126/ in time for Memorial Day. :wink:

Finale tells you what the time is as each page turns so all you have to do it put that time start and end for that page in the timeline of the software. I imagine there are better ways, more professional ways, more expensive ways but I got it done. First one!
Looks great! Hope you enjoyed the process.

ebiggs1

Post by ebiggs1 » Tue May 26, 2020 1:56 pm

I think, I hope, :) the second one will be easier. At least I won't have to be figuring out the process just how to tweak it. I would like to add page turns effect for example.
Thnax so much for your help and offer.

BrownLuther007
Finale Version: Finale 2014

Post by BrownLuther007 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:45 pm

You can do this by using various screen recording features - https://beebom.com/best-screen-recordin ... e-windows/

They can do multiple features and you can edit those videos after that.

Cynolatry
Finale Version: SongWriter

Post by Cynolatry » Sun Feb 27, 2022 4:19 pm

Michel R E wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 5:42 pm
while extracting individual images then rebuilding them into a score, the way I do it, is more tedious, it can be more practical when handling a larger orchestral score that does not necessarily fit on the screen.
for example, I was able to do a video-score of the 1st movement of my 1st symphony where I could simply extract images from from the correct spots in the score where the more important melodic/thematic material was.
it's not perfect since it was actually the 1st score I did, so I was trying out all of Shotcut's capabilities (and I am VERY new to using this type of software).
https://youtu.be/znKnYTnNBrI
Well. If you're dealing with images I will recommend movavi. Of course, it is simpler to use screen capture, but if that's the way you want it, I can share this guide https://www.movavi.com/support/how-to/v ... hotos.html . Take a look, It may save you some time on your editing. And the software itself doesn't require modern hardware.

elbsound
Finale Version: Finale 2014.5

Post by elbsound » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:52 pm

ebiggs1 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 3:32 pm
One thing I don't like is PL removes any ques from the score. In this case the director who is going to play this chart asked for cues to be included in the score. Now perhaps there is a setting in PL that will not remove them but I don't know.
You just have to deactivate it in the Layer/Cues tab: set "Dedicated Cue Note Layer" to "Not Used".

dtoub
Finale Version: 27.3

Post by dtoub » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:57 am

I know someone else here posted a similar response, but I want to also add my preference for QuickTime screen recording in macOS. I’ve recorded scrolling Finale videos (just the Finale window, not my entire screen) and gotten them on YouTube pretty easily. You can use BlackHole to route audio from Finale so that it is recorded in the QuickTime video. Easy to then dump it into iMovie or your video app of choice and add a title.

I have a few examples on https://dbtmusic.wordpress.com/videos/
http://dbtmusic.wordpress.com

https://dtoub.bandcamp.com/

Finale 27.x/macOS Sonoma/GPO 5/NotePerformer/Perfect Layout/Reason 12