Adjusting playback volume for piano left/right hands

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:05 pm

Is there any way to do this? To uncouple the left/right situation so I can adjust the balance? I tried to find this in the manual and didn't see anything beyond the standard mixer information. And overall, are there any other controls for playback volume besides in the mixer/sound view? I'm hearing loud bass in one section and the right hand (playing rhythmic figures) sounds buried. I haven't found anything else that will control volume (velocity?) etc. I'
m trying to get more volume in general so I have "base key velocity" at 127.....any considerations there?
Thanks for any help.
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

michelp
Finale Version: 27.4.1,26.3.1, Mont.
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:24 pm

If you want individual dynamics in each hand, you have to give each staff its own midi channel (ScoreManager). Even to each layer if needed.
Michel
MacOsX 12.7.4, Finale 27.4.1 & 26.3.1, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27"' pivot, 24'"), JW Lua, RGP Lua

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:23 pm

How do I do this? I went to score manager and checked it out.....I don't want to mess with the settings if I don't know what I'm doing.....already I have to frequently re-assign the instrument sounds to Garritan when I open a different score I'm working on. If it's a simple task I will do it immediately as it would be be a great help in hearing playback properly.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:33 pm

See this picture and the Finale file.

Zuill
Attachments
Piano RH and LH on Different Channels.musx
(101.64 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Piano RH and LH on Different Channels.PNG
Piano RH and LH on Different Channels.PNG (43.83 KiB) Viewed 3899 times
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:02 am

Thanks so much for trying to help me with this. I don't understand how to get what you showed....I go to score manager and I don't understand how to get it to "staff 1" and "staff 2"......and your sample finale part is blank.....sorry to be dense. Attached is what I see on score manager.
Attachments
piano on different staffs.jpg
piano on different staffs.jpg (107.15 KiB) Viewed 3880 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 am

In the Ch (Channel) column, for Staff 2, click on the 2 and change it to a 3.

It sounds like you might need to spend time with the Videos, Tutorials, and reading the Documentation. This is there for your perusal.

Zuill

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks for this. I don't disagree with your suggestion re: tutorials, manual, etc. I've tried tutorials but often times I've searched in vain for what I'm looking for. Or I wind up watching whole tutorials and still not finding what I need to know....instead I get tons of stuff that doesn't apply to my needs at all. If I post a specific issue that you know is covered in a specific tutorial and you point me to it, I will absolutely go there and put in the time.

I'm repeating myself, but my first go-to always is look in the manual....then search it on YouTube, etc. and very often it's not there....I'll get posts dating from way previous versions that no longer apply.....it's frustrating and a waste of valuable time, which is why I come here AFTER trying elsewhere. I know I've posted frequently with what seem like basic questions. I'm embarrassed I don't know the program better, but there's a lot to it, the capabilities are vast and complex, and I'm getting more confident all the time. You guys are great.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:30 pm

Finale is very complicated and it can certainly be hard to know where to begin, but once someone has given you pointers like they did above, I think that would be the time to explore the manual and understand what's going in in the Score Manager.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:32 pm

Actually, I couldn't find anything in the Documentation that discusses splitting a 2 staff instrument into 2 channels. it comes close, but not specifically about 2 staff instruments. If anyone can find that page, I would like to see it.

Zuill

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:10 pm

zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:32 pm
Actually, I couldn't find anything in the Documentation that discusses splitting a 2 staff instrument into 2 channels. it comes close, but not specifically about 2 staff instruments. If anyone can find that page, I would like to see it.

Zuill
EXACTLY. THAT is what I alluded to above in detail: I'm happy to RTFM, watch tutorials, etc, but often that means spending tons of time and not finding anything that addresses the issue. Saying "you might want to spend time looking through the manual" is not helpful. I do that....a LOT. Saying "it's in the manual under xyz" IS helpful. Sorry to be a pain; in the future I will pay it forward by helping others as much as I can.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:30 pm

zuill wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:33 am
In the Ch (Channel) column, for Staff 2, click on the 2 and change it to a 3.

It sounds like you might need to spend time with the Videos, Tutorials, and reading the Documentation. This is there for your perusal.

Zuill
Well, I tried to follow the instructions and somehow stumbled into what I think is correct....at any rate, it is working! See attached: is that what I'm supposed to have?
Attachments
Splitting staff into two channels.jpg
Splitting staff into two channels.jpg (97.82 KiB) Viewed 3827 times

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:35 pm

Yes. You were able to change the lower staff to channel 2. That is what you were trying to do.

I wasn't necessarily suggesting that this specific issue might be covered in the manual, but many of the things that one would like to know how to do are covered in the available materials.

In another topic you started about replacing rests with notes, there is Documentation on that. However, there still seems to be confusion expressed. I was hoping you will eventually post a sample file with the specific issue you are dealing with so we can put that one to rest. Many users have put in good advice, but we still don't have a specific example to be able to examine.

Zuill

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:49 pm

Okay, regarding the "replacing rests" issue, I thought I'd attached the file; apparently not. Apologies. The issue is that I'll have a busy measure full of notes and if I want to edit the bar without completely redoing it, I can't just "punch in" that one spot. As someone mentioned, it's not "pen and paper." I get it. But after having listened to the feedback, I understand better and I have a "work-around"-- I select the notes/figure/etc. that I need to replace, delete it, leaving a rest there, and then just edit the rest. Does that make sense? It works and I'm content with that for now. It is probably the case that veteran users figure out the way that best meets their needs and stick with that until a better idea comes along. I'm content. Let's consider it resolved.

FWIW: someone pointed out that Finale is "notation software" at heart, and that is true. I do find it fantastic for composing....the greatest tool on Earth, at least for me. The more I tame the beast, the easier will be the flow.

zuill

Post by zuill » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:44 pm

Back to the question at hand. I finally found the page I was looking for in the Documentation:

http://usermanuals.finalemusic.com/Fina ... ent%20list

This discusses the way to access the separate staves of the multi-staff instrument. You can even reorder the staves (put the Bass above the Treble for Piano).

Zuill

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:51 am

Excellent! Thanks for this, I will check it out.