Is it possible to "attach" chords so they stay put?

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

bj nick
Finale Version: v26, NP3
Operating System: Windows

Post by bj nick » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:52 pm

I use chord symbols mainly for my own reference (voicing things, etc.) But they "float around" a lot since I might add or delete bars here and there, and then I have to go and manually put them all back where they're supposed to be. How do I "attach" them to notes or rests or bars? (NOTE: I researched this online but the solutions did not apply to me.)
Finale v. 26, Windows 10, NP3, Garritan Instruments for Finale

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:39 am

I tried adding and deleting bars, and the chords stayed where they originally were. We might need more details or see a file.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:36 pm

Did you customize any of the chord settings, are you using the same library file, and does the problem occur is all documents? Try locking the staff systems in Utilities.

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:21 pm

Sorry, for some reason I didn't get notice of the replies. Yes, it seems to happen on all documents. re: lock systems-- the option is grayed out on all documents.....how can I make this option available?

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:52 pm

bj nick wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:21 pm
… re: lock systems-- the option is grayed out on all documents.....how can I make this option available?
Selection Tool.
Select at least one measure (if you need to lock all system, Select All).
Now the command Lock Systems is available, but try the keyboard shortcut:
- the letter L key.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

bj nick

Post by bj nick » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Thanks, that did it. Question: are there any downsides to locking the systems like this? I ask because I am constantly revising/adding / deleting bars, etc....

Djard
Finale Version: Finale 26

Post by Djard » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:35 am

I lock the staff systems in every work, since the auto spacing, for me, creates a number of issues, such as the one you experienced...grace note spacing and other annoying matter. It seems only occasionally do I need to lengthen or truncate a measure that takes only a second with the Measure tool. I save my preferences and use my customized library file.

If you decide to use a import a library file when starting a fresh document, I recommend firstly deleting all the resident articulations, expressions and custom lines; otherwise Finale will duplicate all the default ones, and soon, your files will become bloated.

Maybe MakeMusic will let identical elements to be overwritten when imported, but I won't hold my breath.