Last note under a slur

Discuss playback problems, including VST, Garritan, MIDI, etc.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

winknotes
Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Windows

Post by winknotes » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:15 pm

This has been an issue as long as I can remember but wondering if there's any new information regarding why the last note under a slur is about 50% of the note value? It's very irritating to say the least and I don't understand why it has to be that way.

gogreen
Finale Version: Finale 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by gogreen » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:19 pm

Are you using HP? Which defined style are you using, and have you tried to change the defined style setting to see if the playback changes more to your liking? You might try creating a custom-defined style. Depending on how often the problem occurs, you might also try increasing the offending note duration(s) or adding a hidden legato articulation.

Have you created a support ticket for this problem? That might be worth a try.
Art
Finale 27
NotePerformer, GPO5, COMB2
MacOS Ventura 13.6.4
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BRHBTHT/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=%22Arthur+J.+Michaels%22&qid=1593016536&sr=8-2

winknotes

Post by winknotes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:53 pm

All great question GoGreen and haven't done any of those LOL

I am using HP and using Standard style. I have tried putting hidden legato marks but those don't seem to work either. I think maybe a case is the appropriate thing to do. I was just wondering if others had the same issue. It's especially apparent in a string of say sixteenth notes slurred in groups of 2 or 4 for a couple measures hearing the 4th sixteenth always cut short. Very unmusical to say the least.

zuill
Finale Version: Finale 2011-v26.3.1

Post by zuill » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:59 pm

If you take any HP Style, you can customize it. I often experiment by either unchecking boxes that i think might be the cause. I do one at a time until I hear the change i want. Sometimes, it's the amount of the sliders (mood, rubato, etc.).

Also, some behaviors manifest themselves in different situations. For example, the ending of a phrase before a rest might give a different result from the ending of a phrase before another note. If you're diligent, you might be able to find what the cause is.

Zuill
Windows 10, Finale 2011-v26.3.1
"When all is said and done, more is said than done."

winknotes

Post by winknotes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:54 pm

Thank you all for the replies and suggestions. Ultimately a legato marking set to 101% of the note value did the trick. It does make me realize how little control over HP we actually have and wish we had a little more "global" control without going to tedious lengths (no pun intended).

First world problems indeed.