Strange error

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

sschimel
Finale Version: Finale 2017.3
Operating System: Windows

Post by sschimel » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:34 pm

All of a sudden, I'm getting the following error whenever I try to save a file, even if it's brand new. "error id file moving "s" to "s" finale. The system cannot find the path specified." I don't have a clue how to fix it. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Finale 26.3.1
Windows 10
"Musick has Charms to sooth a savage Breast" William Congreve, in The Mourning Bride, 1697

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:27 pm

This seems to happen when Finale has been left open for a long time. It creates temporary files in the Windows temporary directory that it needs, but doesn't leave them open or otherwise lock them, so Windows comes along and decides they're old enough to delete. I've seen it reported many times. It's a terrible bug which ought to be easy to fix, but for some reason it lingers.

You may be stuck this time--try Save As, or as a last resort, exporting to MusicXML.

To prevent it in the future, make a directory of your own for Finale's temporary files, and point to it in Preferences/Folders. You will have to clean it out yourself from time to time, since Finale doesn't always do it (another thing that should be easy to fix).

David Ward
Finale Version: F 25.5 & 26.3
Operating System: Mac

Post by David Ward » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:36 pm

This was on Mac, so not quite the same, but the other day I had a Finale file that didn't want to save because Finale couldn't locate where it was supposed to be, but it then invited me to Save As and saved to the right place with the right name without further direction from me. Disconcerting, but I do have back-ups in ForeverSave 2 in case this should happen again. It may have been partly my fault, as I had had it open in a shared Box file on another computer, which sometimes seems to confuse things when not saved before closing if open on both computers at the same time.
Finale 25.5 & 26.3
Mac 10.13.6 & 10.14.6

motet

Post by motet » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:11 pm

I seem to recall other Mac users not being able to save, so there may be the same problem with using the system /tmp directory.

larrycfc
Finale Version: v26.3

Post by larrycfc » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:14 pm

I got this same error on my Windows machine after editing a file someone sent me that was created on a Mac. Copying content onto a blank template did not help. Exporting to xml and importing into template did not help. No solutions?

motet

Post by motet » Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:23 pm

motet wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:27 pm
This seems to happen when Finale has been left open for a long time. It creates temporary files in the Windows temporary directory that it needs, but doesn't leave them open or otherwise lock them, so Windows comes along and decides they're old enough to delete. I've seen it reported many times. It's a terrible bug which ought to be easy to fix, but for some reason it lingers.

You may be stuck this time--try Save As, or as a last resort, exporting to MusicXML.

To prevent it in the future, make a directory of your own for Finale's temporary files, and point to it in Preferences/Folders. You will have to clean it out yourself from time to time, since Finale doesn't always do it (another thing that should be easy to fix).

larrycfc
Finale Version: v26.3

Post by larrycfc » Sun Sep 05, 2021 3:25 pm

This has happened again with a new document, so it seems to be a persistent bug. But I discovered that "save as" is needless. In spite of the error, it saves properly each time with ctr-S. Just a constant annoyance I wish they would fix.