Percussion MIDI Map Editor

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Brent
Finale Version: 27
Operating System: Windows

Post by Brent » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:26 pm

I have two issues in this post. I'm using v27 and I can't understand why Finale won't 'remember' which MIDI device and map when I save my file. Every time I open a project I have to remember to go into the Percussion MIDI Map Editor and specify the device (in this case a drum creation I called Classic Drum Kit). I would've thought that this information would be saved with the project file.

Secondly, in my Classic Drum Kit map I want to include a rim click (sometimes called a rim knock) but Finale won't let me use the sound that JABB provides. The sound is found using MIDI note #34, but when I try to get it into my Percussion Layout>Edit it insists that it uses MIDI note #37. I can't hear that rim knock in my score. I get a snare hit. Once again, it seems like this should be a no-brainer, but I haven't discovered a work-around.

Oh, and one last thing. Since I upgraded to v27 I can't get scrolling in my playback if I use Shift-click unless I click the play button in the playback controls first. After that Shift-click gets me playback and scrolling. Have we taken a step back with this version? This little problem combined with my previous and unresolved issue of trying to create a tie shortcut with my Gray* key have me starting to regret this upgrade.

Thanks for helping me off the ledge....

...Brent

Brent
Finale Version: 27

Post by Brent » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:02 pm

I think I've managed to solve most of this. After bouncing back and forth between the Percussion MIDI Editor and Percussion Layout>Edit and think I have things sorted. Got my rim knocks and everything! I have always set up my drums in the Percussion MIDI Editor first, and then tried to get the things to work in the Score Manager>Percussion Layout. But, it would appear, that I've been doing things backwards (I'm not surprised). Anyway I'm hoping now that Finale will remember my percussion setup when I next work on the arrangement.

motet
Finale Version: 2014.5,2011,2005,27

Post by motet » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:52 pm

The selection of the MIDI map has always been a "program" selection, not a per-document selection. I agree that it should be per-document, but as far as I know it's always been this way.