Finale Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

What computer specs would be perfect for Finale?

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Re: What computer specs would be perfect for Finale?

Postby MikeHalloran » Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm

Hector Pascal wrote:Hi everyone,

I'm the OP. I am pleased to have read all the input from the forum, which is appreciated. I thought I'd update you on my circumstances:

So, originally I complained about the slow speed of Finale. Not long ago, I was using it when all of a sudden the screen started to look funny and the computer turned off. I successfully booted it up again, then I wisely transferred my files to another computer for safe keeping. Having done that, I could not get the computer to boot up properly. I did extensive research and tried many tricks pertaining to rebooting and even reinstalling OS etc, but nothing worked. I took it to Apple and they said that the model of iMac that I bought (iMac 27in mid-2011) had a graphics card manufacturing fault. For a couple of years, they replaced the graphics cards for free, but I was too late to participate in the replacement program as mine didn't konk out until recently. They said they could replace it for $1000 if I hurried, adding that my machine was soon to be considered as "legacy" and therefore not repairable by Apple Centre even for any price. I was unsure what to. The faulty card was an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB GDDR5. The computers other vital statistics were a 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM 4x4GB, 2TB Serial ATA Drive + 256GB SSD.

PS: MikeHalloran, some people "baked" their faulty cards in the oven and claimed that it fixed the issue. But I didn't try it because i think it is too risky to use it afterwards for things like my work.

I agree. The big problem with iMacs is that they’re ovens. Putting a very hot motor inside makes it worse and the WD Caviar Black is one of the hottest. My electric bill went down and my office is more comfortable after I replaced it with a 2T SSD (piece of cake). Heat is te enemy. My wife’s 2011 has that same card but I pulled the HHD from it and my 2010 three years ago now. Knock on wood.
Mike Halloran

Finale 26.1 (25.5, 2014.5, PM 2014.5 for testing), SmartScore X2 Pro, GPO5
2010 iMac 2.93G i7, 32G RAM, OS 10.13.3 2T SSD x2
Overture 5, Notion 6, Encore 5.0.7, DP 9.52, Logic Pro X
Legacy G4: OS 10.4.11/9.2, Finale 1998–2011
MikeHalloran

Finale Version: 26.1/25.5/PM2014.5
Operating System: Mac

Re: Re: What computer specs would be perfect for Finale?

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Re: What computer specs would be perfect for Finale?

Postby Midibim » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Finale now makes use of hyper threading... multiuse of cores. I called Apple to check, and he checked with Finale. I do not know how many cores. I’m here, myself to figure out which iMac pro to get. I am using a 16 go ram 2015 iMac and it does work well until I get a full orchestra at 60 measures. Then it crashes. According to Mac and Finale, the more ram you have, the more it can remember at once. I do not know how many cores to get though. There is a limit every program with hyper threading can manage. If you are running other programs other than Finale it can help. Also running finales scrolling feature can be a separate core. Garritan can be one, and the main program too.
Midibim

Finale Version: 25
Operating System: Mac

Previous