Finale 26 articulation placement (import of old file)

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm

I've not really had to deal with anything like this yet while using Finale 26, I've mostly worked on new files, from Finale 26 templates or simply created from the Fin26 Wizard.

This week I've had to resurrect an old file, prepared in Finale 2012 (Actually started earlier than that, but imported up into 2012).

I had to create articulations for fingerings (it's a children's piano piece).

Despite the articulations for the fingerings having the exact same values as those in a Finale 26 default file, for some odd reason, when I have to flip an articulation to appear on the opposite side of the staff from where the default places it, it collides with the staff lines.

the options for avoid staff lines and always place outside staff are checked in both versions.

Anyone have any ideas?
I'd LIKE to avoid having to copy/paste into a new default document if possible, I'll keep that as a last resort.

I'm including two images, one from Finale 26 of its default placement, and one from the old file showing the error.
There has to be SOME setting somewhere that I'm overlooking.
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.

Peter Thomsen
Finale Version: Finale v27.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Peter Thomsen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 pm

Michel R E wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm
… Despite the articulations for the fingerings having the exact same values as those in a Finale 26 default file, for some odd reason, when I have to flip an articulation to appear on the opposite side of the staff from where the default places it, it collides with the staff lines.

the options for avoid staff lines and always place outside staff are checked in both versions …

… There has to be SOME setting somewhere that I'm overlooking.
In the Articulation Designer, did you click the button “Handle Positioning…”?

I suspect that the settings for Handle Positioning could be, what you are overlooking.
Mac OS X 12.6.9 (Monterey), Finale user since 1996

Michel R E
Finale Version: Finale 2012, 25, 26
Operating System: Windows

Post by Michel R E » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:07 pm

hehe, yeah, I filled a page with every single piece of information I could find from those pull-down menus in the articulation.

I ended up copying a single measure from my new fresh document, with each of the fingering articulations, into my old document.
then deleting all the old fingerings and replacing with the new articulations (just selected the articulation for "1" and pressed delete, then "replace with"... it was surprisingly fast.)

well, thanks anyways.

I didn't actually solve the issue in question, but was able to find a relatively easy and quick way of getting around it.
At least now the fingering articulations respond to placement properly (ie: collisions with slurs and proper stacking)
User of Finale since version 3.0 on Windows.
Now using a mix of Finale 2012, Finale 25, and 26.1
GPO, Garritan Solo Stradivari violin, Gofriller Solo Cello.
XSamples Chamber Ensemble.
Absolute convert to NotePerformer3.