Finale Forum Store | Buy Sheet Music

Drum Set kick cues

The place for beginner Finale users. ("How do I...")

Moderators: miker, Peter Thomsen

Drum Set kick cues

Postby jazzbo » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:40 am

I'm working on my first drum part was wondering how to put in the kick cues. On paper, I would put the rhythm line above the drum staff. I thought I could use rhythmic notation, but I can't figure how to put it above the staff.

Fortunately, this chart has no specific drums rhythms written out and the cues could be in their own layer.

The staff is set up using Drum Set from the wizard.
jazzbo

Finale Version: 25.5.0.259
Operating System: Mac

Re: Drum Set kick cues

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

Drum Set kick cues

Postby Peter Thomsen » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:30 am

A tip for easy drum writing in jazz/big band scores (for Finale 2000 and later):

1.Copy the music from the staff that you want the drummer to hit (let's say trumpet), and move it
to the drums.
2.Use the plug-in Single pitch and enter (for example) G5, then move the contents to layer 2.
3.Change all noteheads with the Mass Mover Tool (MassEdit/Change/Noteheads...) to the
little slash.
4.Select a staff style with alternate notation for the region: Slashes for Layer 1. (Make sure "Show Notes In Other Layers" is selected in the Alternate Notation definition dialog!).

Depending on the layer settings for Layer 2 (in Finale 2003 and later: Options menu > Document Options > Layers) you may have to flip the stems of the Layer 2 kick cue,

Peter
Mac OS X 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Finale user since 1996
Peter Thomsen

Finale Version: Finale v26.1

Postby michelp » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:59 pm

Adding to what Peter said, my experience is that it is useful to use several layers for different aspects of a drum part :

Layer 1 could be what's basically above the staff (most commonly cymbals ). Stems up.
Layer 2 could be what's basically at the bottom of the staff : bass drum kicks, a thing that you would use for "major" accents. Stems down.
Layer 3 for occasional other things, toms, etc...more in the middle of the staff.
Layer 4 could be used to apply a staff style with slash notation.

This way, all aspects can be used simultaneously.
Michel
MacOsX 10.11.6, Finale 25.5, 2014.5, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. Full TGTools. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27' pivot, 24')
michelp

Finale Version: 25.5, 2014.5

Postby jazzbo » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:33 pm

(Sorry for the delay in replying. Can't stay with this as much as I would like.)

Thanks to both of you for some great advice. This info should cover any drum parts I might have in the future.
jazzbo

Finale Version: 25.5.0.259