Making a Rossini crescendo

General notation questions, including advanced notation, formatting, etc., go here.

Moderators: Peter Thomsen, miker

Corrado7mari

Making a Rossini crescendo

Post by Corrado7mari » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:34 pm

Hello to all. If you have seen a Rossini manuscript or a critical edition you'll know his typical crescendo notation. They look like a triangle pointing either left (crescendo) or right (decrescendo). If you haven't, just imagine the usual cres/decresc hairpins and connect the open end with a straight line; that's it. I need to enter this symbol in my scores. At first I tried creating it on the shape designer (Expression Selection > Shape > create > select >create, with the "allow horizontal stretching" checked); but I found out that when I change the shape of one (say stretch it) , they will all change shape together. Of course, this won't do; I need to be able to adjust their shapes individually, as with normal crescendo hairpins and other Smart Shapes. Does anyone have a clue on how to do this? I'm using Finale 2008 on both Vista and OS X Leopard. Thanks to all.

Re: Making a Rossini crescendo

by Sponsor

Forum Sponsor

michelp
Finale Version: 26.3.1, 25.5, Catal
Operating System: Mac

Post by michelp » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:07 pm

Create duplicates of the shape each time you need a modified version. The original will remain intact.
Michel
MacOsX 10.14.6, Finale 26.3.1, 25.5, Mac Mini Intel Dual Core i7 3Ghz, 16 Go Ram. Azerty kb. Full TGTools. MOTU Midi Express XT USB, Roland Sound Canvas SC-88vl, MOTU Audio Express. 2 monitors (27' pivot, 24')

Corrado7mari

Post by Corrado7mari » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:43 pm

michelp wrote:Create duplicates of the shape each time you need a modified version. The original will remain intact.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. Still, on each score I have a few dozens of these signs. Do I have to duplicate it that much? Are you sure there isn't another way of doing this? Cheers.

WoogitOne

Post by WoogitOne » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:05 pm

Corrado7mari wrote:
michelp wrote:Create duplicates of the shape each time you need a modified version. The original will remain intact.
Thanks. I hadn't noticed that. Still, on each score I have a few dozens of these signs. Do I have to duplicate it that much? Are you sure there isn't another way of doing this? Cheers.
Add regular crescendos to your score, then just add a line (still using the smart shape tool) that connects the open hairpins.